Honoring Yuri Kochiyama on Her Birthday


The Struggles Continue

     Clockwise, starting from the top left corner of my illustration, I evoke histories of oppression: Japanese Internment, Slavery, the Native American Trail  of Tears and the transition from Palestinian to Israeli land in 1946, 1948, 1968 and 2000. At time same time, I reflect symbols of peace, remembrance and liberation: the origami crane from the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, African American Quilting and the North Star, Native American Eagle Feathers, and the Palestinian Keffiyeh.

     To me, all these things are connected. I look up to Yuri Kochiyama because she is a visible Asian American Woman, who has walked the path of Freedom before me.
Ink, Watercolors and Acrylics on Watercolor Paper, 17x11 inches.

Comments

Popular Posts