Hanok Village near Namsan (남산골한옥마을)











After we walked around Namsan, we stopped by the Hanok Village.  It's a village from the Joseon Dynasty, which was opened to the public in 1994 in relation to the 600 year anniversary of Seoul.

These days it's an opportunity to rent a Hanbok (한복) or traditional Korean clothing and take some pictures.   When we were there a couple was there taking wedding photos in traditional regalia, along with their wedding party.

Learn more here:

https://www.koreatodo.com/namsangol-hanok-village

There was a well in the center of the village.  It reminded me of when I went to China, Guangdong Province, Toisan (中國, 廣東, 台山) prefecture to visit my Great Grandfather's village, on my mother's father's side.  At the time, my mentor Al Cheng always said, "Yum soi, si yuan" in Cantonese.  (飲水思源). It means, "When Drinking Water, Remember the Source."

It's rather touristy and kitch, but I do feel like I am connecting to the source.  This journey is honoring my great grandparents on my mother's, mother's side.  So here we are. 2004, 1994, 1394 and 2023.

When I google translate the Chinese idiom 飲水思源 to Korean, it says 감 사합니다, which means "thank you".  In other words, be grateful. Cheers PK Yoon and Agnes Oh, Ching Bak Lee and Shin Chee Yee.  Xoxo.

Comments

Popular Posts